Sunday, January 6, 2013

Goal Setting Doesn't Work

It's a bit off putting when this pops up on my computer and as I read I wonder if we are doing it all wrong.  Here's the link if you are interested. Douglas Dane.  

I've noted a few people setting goals and posting them on their blogs, and yes I have also done this in the past. This year I'm going to approach Douglas's Dane's key ingredients for making goal setting work, even though his post heading states Goal setting doesn't work. lol. I'm keeping my goals in my head. I know what I want. :)

Mr Dane tells us to change what we believe in. Hmm... It's not real clear is it? I think he means be positive. But further down he says to change the way we think.

Lack of Will: Oh my, I think my will is double strength and it is certainly not  lacking.  lol   I've always believed where there's a will there's a way. Have you posted your goals for this brilliant shiny New Year, and if so how are you going to achieve them? Or do you have a link where I can take a look at your planned future? Thank you.

Suzanne :)

3 comments:

Tarnya said...

Hi Suzanne,
I think some people need to write their goals down. Then as you said, you have them in your head. It's direction for some. Either on paper or announcing it to the world, in one's head, it's still goal setting. I've set mine. Yes, and one day I'll get a blog.
Tarnya. x

Anonymous said...

I agree with Tarnya, Suz, goal setting works for some, not for others. I don't call them goals, I call them objectives. Minor difference I know, but for some reason just changing the name works for me. I feel less depressed about not meeting an objective than not attaining a goal. Also, I don't go all out and have ten goals/objectives for a month. My one basic objective is to write 5K every week. Then when the book's first draft is finished, to edit 5-10K every week. This is a new objective for me as I find as a writing I'm developing all the time. So far I've been reaching my objectives.

The other thing is I don't beat myself up about not reaching an objective. I do, every day, try to maintain a professional attitude toward writing and encourage my family to accept my writing as an actual job. In some cases that one's an uphill battle. :)

Suzanne Brandyn Author said...

Thank you Tarnya and Sandy. Objectives does sound much better. Yes, Sandy. As writers we do develop all the time. I see my current work nothing at all like what I have had published. This will be interesting. lol. Oh, I must stress, I have been told it's much better. :)