Friday, October 3, 2014

On Writing-Let your manuscript sit for a while.


Don't be too eager to finish as there's value in the words, 'let your manuscript sit for a while.' 

After I had completed a manuscript, and having more sets of eyes take a look at it, I found that within the first three chapters there's a huge glaring mistake, and some other minor mistakes. Urgh! Pull my hair out. Why hadn't I seen this before? I let this manuscript sit for at least six weeks until I returned to do a final draft. Since then, I've printed it out again, and I'll give it another final read through. I still can't believe what I found hadn't been picked up. Amazing.                                                                                                   
I once sent a manuscript to an editor and found a typo on the first page. Talk about die of shock. lol. :) She was lovely, and said that's what editors are for. But I owe it to myself and to the editors to submit the best possible work I can, and this wasn't my best, as is the manuscript I've recently printed.  

I was almost on the verge of starting another manuscript, which will now have to wait but that doesn't mean I won't be taking notes about characters, plots, sub-plots and anything that comes to mind to help make it work during the breaks.


Fingers and toes crossed for me. Ta. :)