Thursday, August 1, 2013

Pitching and how to make the most of a Conference

Are you ready to pitch? Have you done your homework? Most agents and publishing houses only want work that is finished and polished.

Read up on the publisher to make sure they accept what you are pitching.

Give them that one line sentence, or tag that will captivate their attention. A hook which will draw them into the story.

Be confident and professional, and I wish you all the very best with your upcoming pitches. :)

I also thought I'd mention Rachelle Gardner's blog who has a Guest Blogger, Dabney Hedegard. She's talking about conferences. 

In a nutshell most publishing houses are looking for writing that stands out, for voices that shine, and a strong plot/story line that they can sell, that is marketable. Don't forget to check out Rachelle's site. 

I've been spending most of this week editing and writing, it's been a full on week and I'm exhausted today. lol...

I'm heading away for the weekend tomorrow. I hope you enjoy yours. It comes around so quickly doesn't it? Have a good one and enjoy. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your tips and hints are helpful. I visited that site and found it also helpful. I'm a newbie at writing and this will be my first conference. I'm nervous as hell.

Jane

Tarnya said...

Helpful for all writers. I think they appreciate the help especially me. I'm also dabbling.
Tarnya.

Caryn Caldwell said...

Fantastic advice! Pitching at conferences can be nerve-wracking, but when it goes well it is SO worth it!

Suzanne Brandyn Author said...

Hi Jane
Don't be too nervous. You'll enjoy it. It's easy to say, but really, the people are lovely. :)

Suzanne Brandyn Author said...

Tons of good advice on her site, Tarnya. I enjoy reading Rachelle's posts.

Suzanne Brandyn Author said...

Caryn, I have to agree. The editors and agents are really helpful and professional people.