Thursday, March 24, 2011

North Star-Karly Lane

North Star. Karly Lane. Allen & Unwin.
Big W Port Macquarie yesterday had a stock load.

I've just finished reading North Star. It had tears in my eyes. It had me grinning also. It left me with those warm and fuzzies that I haven't been getting of late when finishing a novel.

A believable, touching story of a woman's determination to turn her life around. Kate, Liam and Georgia, are such real characters I was in the novel looking over their shoulder. I almost choked on the dust when I arrived at North Star. lol... :)
I loved it. Phew... I'm still grinning. Something certainly must have touched me for this to be happening. Oh just read it and find out for yourself. It's a great read and I suspect we will hear more from Karly... I can't wait to read her next one. 

NORTH STAR. Back cover blurb. Since her divorce a year ago, Kate Thurston feels like she’s lurched from one disaster to another. Her teenage daughter, Georgia, seems to have morphed into a monster overnight, and her son Liam breaks her heart with his sad brown eyes.

When Kate receives news that her grandfather has bequeathed her North Star, the vast property that has been in her family for generations, it feels like the perfect opportunity to flee the hectic pace of city life for a calmer rural existence.

As soon as she arrives at North Star, however, Kate realises she’s going to need every ounce of determination to restore the rundown homestead to its former glory and fulfil her dream of turning it into a bush retreat. And as for the farm, well it’s in utter disarray.

As she starts to make headway with the homestead’s restoration, and falls for a local bloke, Kate finally feels like life is going right for her. Then her ex-husband comes to town and triggers a series of events that will change her life forever …

In the tradition of Fleur McDonald and Rachael Treasure, with dollops of mystery and lashing suspense suspense, North Star will have you reading through the night.

Congratulations Karly. Readers everywhere will be more than  pleased. :)

6 comments:

Karlene Blakemore-Mowle said...

Thank you for that lovely review Suz! I'm so glad you liked it!
I really have a soft spot for these characters- this story took on a life of its own!

Angelina Rain said...

It sounds like a really great book. I might have to check that out.

Suzanne Brandyn Author said...

Hi Karly,
I never thought of it as a review, but I guess it is as such,although I didn't go into detail. Anyhow, I'm glad I read it. :)

All the best,
Suzanne :)

Suzanne Brandyn Author said...

Hi Angelina,
If you can get your hands on it, yes, I'd say you would love it as well. :)

Mel Teshco said...

Sounds great - well done Karly!

Suzanne Brandyn Author said...

Thanks for calling in Mel. :)