Friday, July 2, 2010

A Weird thing Happened

50k in 30days.
I'm usually a plotter, but this time I jumped in with two characters and one major plot. I had no idea where it was going to take my characters, or what was going to happen. I just wrote. It was as though someone waved a magic wand over my characters, and scenes. It's a great feeling when a novel writes itself, isn't it? When the characters act out their own personalities, and the subplots just happen when you least expect it. Well, that's what occurred when writing the 50ks in 30days.

The words kept pouring out on the screen, and it was great...until...day 21. Nothing Happened!!! Nothing!! Why? I was busy going back and filling in the places that needed research, and more description etc. No words eventuated, I deleted, I added and didn't get anywhere. So I made sure I kept on track by just writing. Until!!

Finishing the novel the following morning, I started reading from the beginning and after about an hour, I looked down at the word count. How could I have possibly ended on such little words? The novel wasn't going to end anywhere near 50.000 words. I am aiming for 75.000-80.000

So I went to the end of the novel and I hadn't finished at all... I was shocked. Totally baffled. Then it dawned on me that I had dreamt the ending of my novel. I saw the characters, and every detail of what happened. It was all a dream...one long, descriptive, detailed dream. lol lol...According to my dream I kept writing, and finally reached my target of 75.000 words. It's a weird feeling though. It was so real.

Have you had dreams that seems so real you can't shake them? This is not the first time my dreams have crept into reality. lol Okay, I'm going to wrap myself in writing land for a while. The weather suggests that it's the perfect time to do so. :)

Suzanne :)

4 comments:

Tarnya said...

Hi Suzanne,
It's so amazing that you dreamed it. If it's anything like your last, I'm looking forward to reading it. Hurry up. lol

Love your blog,
Taryna. x

Angelina Rain said...

That's pretty cool dreaming about your book.

When I was fifteen, I had a dream that I went into Borders and all of the shelves were stocked full of a book with my name on the cover. It was like I was a big bestseller.It was strange because when I woke up, I knew exactly what the book was about and everything. That was when I started thinking about writing, although I didn't start writing until my early twenties. I also have deamed up a couple of book ideas, but I haven't written them yet.

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

Wow, never mind the dream, I'm impressed with 50k in 30 days. Well done you.

XX

Anonymous said...

Hi Suzanne
I gather you are wrapped up in that cold weather you are having. Great about your writing, keep it up. I just wanted to say I've just finished Heat in the Outback. Talk about suspense until the end. Good job. It was a great read. This new one sounds interesting. Keep us posted.

Nat. x. Who apologies for not email for the last month, but you were doing the 50k thingo.